Monday, March 10, 2008

Amsterdam Airport

I have been Schipoll'd! I don't think I have been to an airport as many times in as many days. KLM is the only carrier that has flights direct from Manila to Europe and because of this it was our stopover de rigeur on my recent trip to Berlin and London. My travel companions and I had the unfortunate experience of having our flight cancelled, literally at the 11th hour ( inside the plane and already taxing) on our first night. So, instead of landing in Berlin to enjoy a full day of touring the next day we were transported to the Holiday Inn around midnight-or 1am. I was so exhausted from the MNL-AMS trip plus all the waiting that I kind of lost track of time. After gorging (fatigue=hunger) on the hotel's buffet ( it was hot food, not great but it was hot and filled a need) I schlepped off to bed. Really cute hotel room though, and I slept like the dead. We had to check out at noon and spent the next 6 or so hours back at Schipoll since KLM could only rebook us an evening flight to Berlin. Sad. Schipoll isn't the most happening airport I'm afraid, at least not the terminal we were in. The other people travelling with me made a joke on how they had walked the length of the airport and had pretty much memorized the placement and prices of every product. Thing is, every leg we had from thereon had a stop in Schipoll so, I can even include myself in the "memory" game. I don't want to complain too much though as rumor has it that KLM is also going to pull out of the Philippines (as Lufthansa is about to end of March) and it's a good airline-movies and TV on demand. Schipoll-ing all the way may be a bit of a pain ( no free wifi internet like in Singapore or HKG airports) but with a good magazine, book or company is bearable-for as long as there are no more cancellations last minute. As you can see from the first photo, we would have actually done that on the runway just to get off the ground. ha ha ha! Anyway, til next time Schipoll!

No comments: